11.18.2009

On Frogs and Leaf Litter

This neat item on frogs' affinity for fallen leaves and the tasty morsels that reside therein just came across the transom, and I thought I'd share.

As it happens, I spent awhile raking on Saturday afternoon (with the aim of adding grist to the compost pile mill). Whilst doing so, I noticed loads of critters in the leaf litter and decided to stop raking and just leave things bee, as it were. So this item is timely, and may inspire others to skip the leaf-raking altogether next time!

Check it out and meditate on the beneficial implications of the proverbial messy yard.

1 comment:

KC said...

nice photo! Definitely tons of worms in the leaves, tho I've yet to see a frog, anywhere. My father most of the time disdained raking in favor of chopping up leaves with the lawn mower, which probably allowed for some composting, if not habitat....